MARCH 2017 – Are eggs as bad for our cholesterol as we are led to believe? Not in 70% of us and the other 30% (folks with genetic disorders) it only raises it slightly.
Eggs have many benefits and contain most of the nutrients our bodies require. They actually turn LDL cholesterol from small, dense LDL to large, dense LDL which is linked to a reduced risk of heart disease. Antioxidants that lower the risk of macular degeneration and cataracts can also be found in eggs. They also rate high on the satiety index, keeping you feeling full for longer with less calories. Pastured eggs, which are becoming easier to find from your local farms, generally have a higher nutrient value and are fresher than what we can purchase in the store.
Eggs are a fast and inexpensive way to have a healthy meal so don’t limit them to breakfast. Tired when you come home from work…make an omelet filled with some leftover meat or vegetables. Having hard-boiled eggs on hand gives you something to make a sandwich or salad with and they are also portable.
Let’s debunk the myth, once and for all, that eggs aren’t healthy. Put them back on your menu for breakfast, lunch, or dinner and enjoy the healthy benefits!
Janice Silk is a Nutrition Consultant that believes small changes can bring about big results.